NOVA Bantam (EN D Mini Wing)
NOVA BANTAM – made for para-mountaineers!
Small, compact, dynamic - the BANTAM is the perfect mini- wing for all mountaineers who prefer a flight with plenty of speed to descent on foot. Easy to launch, astounding glide performance and much safer to land than a single-surface wing. Its excellent glide was demonstrated at the Dolomitenmann 2019 when Chrigel Maurer and his team won the overall rankings. At only 1.65 kg (size 12), this makes the BANTAM the lightest certified non-single-surface wing on the market (as of October 2019).
More about the BANTAM
With a line length of only four metres (size 12) - the best value in this glider class - the BANTAM can be laid out well even on the smallest launch site. The profile and the brake geometry generate a lot of lift when some brake is applied so that the glider takes off even at a relatively low speed.
The BANTAM glides very well and even at trim speed flies fast. The additionally long brake travel facilitates a very high top-speed. Nevertheless, the stability in turbulent air remains remarkably high. The handling is dynamic and responsive: with the BANTAM it is possible to fly barrel rolls.
In comparison to single-surface gliders, its flare characteristics are a particular advantage of the BANTAM. This offers a safety reserve even during adverse landing conditions.
|EN / LTF||-||D||D|
|Area - projected (m2)||10.2||12.0||14.0|
|Area – flat (m2)||12.0||14.0||16.4|
|Line length (m)||3.55||3.95||4.49|
|Certified take-off weight (kg)||-||65 - 90||55 - 100|
- Zig-Zag 3D-Shaping: for fewer creases on the leading edge
- Upper surface vector tape: this tape spans along the upper surface close to mini-ribs. It results in better profile shape and improved handling.
- Mini-Ribs: improve profile shape and increase performance
- Weight-optimised cloth: the BANTAM is made from ultra-light cloth with a small packing volume and high UV resistance.
- It comes with an Ultralight Compression Bag (22 L, 34 g) as well as Holding Pins, to prevent the wing from sliding on steep, smooth surfaces.
Target group - who is the BANTAM aimed at?
- Para-mountaineers: the BANTAM is aimed at experienced pilots who want to be on the move with as little weight as possible during limb/hike & fly, mountain running, vol biv or expeditions.
- Competitors: Dolomitenmann, Rise & Fall, etc. This target group was not in the foreground during the development (that was climb & fly), but the BANTAM has suitable characteristics for competitions (see Chrigel Maurer’s comment below).
The BANTAM is a mini-wing and should only be flown by experienced and skilled pilots! Flown with a high wing-loading, its very direct handling and dynamic flight characteristics permits manoeuvres like a barrel roll. Also, in extreme situations, the BANTAM requires precise control inputs and active intervention by the pilot.
- The BANTAM is currently the lightest certified wing with an upper and lower surface
- Nearly as light as a single-surface glider, but with better performance and much faster - especially in moving air
- Simple landing characteristics: the BANTAM is super easy to flare!
- Long brake travel for a high top-speed - excellent in strong winds (in high alpine conditions) or in competitions
- Very stable when fully accelerated with a low roll moment in comparison to similar wings
- Suitable for extremely small take-off areas (the lines are only 3.95 m in size 12)
- Very high agility and precision
- Full NOVA guarantee
Chrigel Maurer and the BANTAM
Chrigel Maurer, Aaron Durogati and all other athletes, who flew the BANTAM during the Dolomitenmann chose the wing after intensive testing.
As Chrigel says: “For me, the BANTAM is setting a benchmark for this type of wing because it glides better and clearly has better top-speed. The handling is simpler and I feel comfortable and this means I can use all the available performance.”
Differences between NOVA BANTAM and NOVA DOUBLESKIN
The similarities between the BANTAM and DOUBLESKIN are number of cells, cloth, profile (at the ribs). There are considerable differences in ballooning, tension distribution, brake geometry and relative line length (= ratio line length to span). These give the wing completely different characteristics and thus different uses and target groups. The BANTAM is very dynamic and requires a great deal of pilot skill and experience. The DOUBLESKIN (EN-A) is a straightforward hike & fly wing: superlight, small packing volume, simple to launch and land and with few demands on the pilot. Because of the light materials used, we do not recommend using it for instruction. The DOUBLESKIN is a universally usable lightweight EN A wing suitable for hike & fly, instruction, travelling, soaring and little cross-country flights.
- 33 Cells
- Aspect Ratio flat 4.4
- Aspect Ratio projected 3.3
Colour: Peacock, Custom colours (surcharge applies)
Delivered with the Ultralight Compression Bag (22 L, 34 g) and Holding Pins.
We Also Recommend