Neo Stay Up (Hike and Fly)
Manufacturer's website: Neo Stay Up
The StayUp is NEO’s latest technical offering, designed for XC pilots. It
provides an outstanding balance of weight and stability, weighing in at just
1.45kg. The StayUp’s unique pre-shaped seat allows the most relaxed position
of any light harness on the market. The StayUp can be flown with or without
the protection. The StayUp has the same geometry as the NEO Suspender, which has become known for its stability and precision in turns. The leg straps are equipped with manual NEO buckles.
Continued feedback after 150 hours of flight. Harness used as my only/everyday harness. Durability is solid. Very comfortable, good back and leg support. The harness smooths out the air somewhat, allowing stable carving turns. Compact bullet speed bar works well with the harness, although if you have big calves it might dig in. I also suspect that a wider bullet speed bar might press out on the pod material. I’ve reversed the main carabiners, as I feel that the reserve sits better - the neo website has the carabiners facing forward, and I fear the reserve might have hung up on the carabiner gates when deployed. It’s a little fiddly getting into the harness with reserve always attached, but you get used to it. Pod closure could use a magnet, I’m trying to work out a mod. I’ve fitted a motorcycle Sastec protector (like the lightness3) into the storage compartment to beef up the protection. I like it! Owain Williams
The harness is 100% made in France, with materials specially developed by NEO and our suppliers, including ripstop Dyneema which is hyper-resistant to abrasion and tear, and exclusive to NEO.
This ultralight pod harness includes the latest shock-absorbing technology: the
removable NEO Koroyd 2.0 protection.
Geometry and NEO bucket seat
The main focus when it came to the design of the pod harness was made based on the geometry from the Suspender, NEO’s cross country harness, as well as the seat.
The goal was to offer the pilot a very stable harness, that does not make the pilot tired, and with a very precise turn.
Just as the Suspender, the StayUp is a different harness from the rest and includes the new concept by NEO: the bucket seat, a crossbreed between a skateboard and a hammock harness.
In the StayUp, the bucket seat concept was achieved differently. While the seat in the Suspender is rigid, the bucket in the StayUp was achieved by a preshaped seat.
The result is similar, even if the StayUp is not rigid and it can be flown with or without the Koroyd protection.
The creation and adjustment of the geometry were focused in the following aspects:
- The placement of the centre of gravity, the basic aspect when it comes to the design of any harness for balance and stability.
- The position of the centre of gravity was achieved by placing darts in order to achieve a pre-shaped 3D seat.
- Precise “classic” ABS adjustment for roll control
- Perfect adjustment of the longitudinal balance for yaw control
- The addition of an upper ABS for additional stability in active air.
- Adjustable central straps (42-47cm) for precision and roll stability
- Overall balance to find the right balance between stability, feedback, and handling.
In the air, you will feel
- Support on the outer thigh while maintaining the energy during the turns, allowing you to carve
- Highly precise turns
- The pre-shaped seat allows the centre of gravity of the pilot to be in the right place
- The pre-shaped seat lets you fly relaxed without needing to keep your body in tension, as in most ultralight pod harnesses
Comfort and pre-shaped seat
- NEO’s bucket seat concept allows having unbeatable comfort in an ultralight pod and feels like at home right away
- The balance between the seat and the pod lets you have your upper torso and legs relaxed
- The back plates in fibre glass allows having loose leg and shoulder straps, thus preventing fatigue in your back during long flights
- Various and precise adjustments in the sides, depth, lumbar area, front and chest. A light pod harness should allow for a big range of adjustments and this kind of harness is like a second skin and must be able to adjust to all kinds of body shapes. Not all adjustments must be necessarily used
- Once the StayUp is adjusted, the seat of the harness doesn’t have any pressure points and allows you to fly for hours without any problem
- Specific materials were developed by the R&D NEO team together with European suppliers for the concept of the pre-shaped 3D seat:
- Dyneema fabric: Together with its main supplier of specialized fabrics, NEO developed a Dyneema/Polyamide ripstop fabric that’s highly resistant to abrasion, deformation, and traction while being ultralight. The molecules of the UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethene), thus Dyneema, provide a balance between weight and abrasion that is superior to any other fibre. This ripstop is also Windstopper and water wicking: because we must not forget that the first advantage of flying a pod harness is to stay warm
- Ultralight Dyneema webbing
- 3D shaped seat: minimum weight / maximum support and comfort
- Aluminum NEO and Edelrid buckles
Just as in a classic cross country harness, the main aspects of active security were not ignored:
- The StayUp can be flown in a seated position, and you will find the right position as soon as you launch without feeling like “hanging in the air”
- Getting in the pod is very easy. An additional kit with a bungee cord included with your harness can be easily installed
- The rescue handle of the front rescue container is very visible, well placed, and accessible.
The Koroyd technology has been a revolutionary addition to paragliding and NEO knew how to integrate it to make protections for paragliding:
- NEO Koroyd 2.0 Back Protection
- The first innovation in back protections for paragliding in over 20 years
- Koroyd Technology: Koroyd.com
- 9cm thickness
- Protects the pelvis and lower back
- Certification and tests performed in laboratories
- EN / LTF09: structure, reserve handle and inner bag tested at the Swiss lab Air Turquoise / Para-test.com
- CE: protection according to the European EPI (individual protection equipment) standards of the CRITT.
- The safety Get-Up system with 2 manual buckles is connected to a closing system that prevents closing the pod without attaching the legstraps first
- Front rescue container with Dyneema risers with “1 point” attachment system: with just one attachment point (to each main carabiner) the rescue is installed before takeoff. There is no need to connect the risers and then the container, risking forgetting to connect them
- European origin
- NEO 20mm Aluminum 2047 manual buckles made in Haute Savoie (FR)
- NEO Rocket automatic buckles “special for paragliding” originated from a collaboration between NEO and AustriAlpin (A)
- Large side pocket with zipper (20L)
- Attachment points on the side pocket to carry equipment for bivouac flying
- 2 inner side pockets
- Large zip pocket under the seat for the NEO Korod 2.0 protection with available space in lycra. If you decide to fly without the protection, this space can be fully used for storage (17L.)
- Storage pocket volume of about 40L.
- Pocket for hiking poles
- Instrument panel with velcro on the front container
- Velcros and loops on the shoulder straps to attach the radio microphone or mini vario
- Routing for hydration system
- Adjustment buckles in aluminium or stainless steel
- 3-step ultralight speedbar (included) Product page
- Automatic NEO AustriAlpin Rocket carabiners (included) Product page
- Lite reserve container/instrument panel (For sizes, check the rescue/container size chart) and Dyneema risers (included)
- Removable pocket to store food and important things during the flight
- Lite NEO rucksack range 30, 50, 70, 90L. (optional)
- Large harness protection bag (included)
- Cockpit raise (optional)
We Also Recommend